2016-2017 AVID Site Team
AVID at KAMS
"AVID Secondary starts with an elective class for one period a day, where students learn organizational and study skills, work on critical thinking and asking probing questions, get academic help from peers and tutors, and participate in enrichment and motivational activities that make college seem attainable."- AVID.org
"The AVID curriculum, based on rigorous standards, was developed by middle and high school teachers in collaboration with college professors. It is based on best teaching practices in writing, inquiry, collaboration, organization, and reading, and it is supported by state and national content standards. AVID curriculum is used in the AVID Elective to guide teachers and students, while planning strategies for success, by focusing on time management and study skills."-AVID.org
- To provide academic instruction and support to students to prepare them for eligibility to four-year colleges and universities.
- To give students college level entry skills
- To increase the “coping skills” of program participants.
- To motivate students in the program to seek a college education
- To increase the participants level of career awareness.
- To target students in the academic middle who may be without a college going tradition in their families.
AVID Introduction Video-One Teacher One Classroom
For an introduction to the AVID program, watch the video by following this link.